Fighting for our servicemembers' rights, so they can fight for ours.
Please consider making a fully tax-deductible donation today.
AIR FORCE ACTS
Air Force on Removing
By Paul Loebe, MRFF Special Projects Manager
Friday, December 6, 2013
Selected Article Excerpts:
- At 11:48 EST this morning I was alerted by MRFF clients of a nativity scene that had been placed aboard Shaw Air Force Base, next to Memorial Lake.
- This in and of itself is not a problem. However, it was not within the vicinity of any chapel and was not part of a scene designed to accommodate all religious preferences, or no preferences, aboard the base. It was very sectarian in nature and a direct violation of the US Constitution as well as a blatant violation of Air Force Instruction 1-1 Section 2.11.
- As the new Special Projects Manager at the Military Religious Freedom Foundation I informed Mikey Weinstein, President and Founder. [...] Mikey reached out immediately to senior Air Force leadership at Headquarters Air Force at the Pentagon at 3:33 pm EST to inform them of this violation. [...] The Pentagon thanked Mikey for the information and promised to investigate the complaint as soon as was practicable.
- Once enough time had elapsed for the Pentagon to reach out to the local base Mikey then contacted the Command Post at Shaw AF Base, located in Sumter SC. The Command Post referred him to highest officer of the base, Colonel Clay Hall - Commander, 20th Fighter Wing - who was unavailable. Col Hall's office assistant asked who he was and what it was concerning. Mikey stated that posting this nativity scene was "a direct violation of Department of Defense Directives, Instructions, and Regulations, the United States Constitution, and Air Force Instruction 1-1, specifically, section 2.11"
- The assistant put him on hold. A minute or two later she came back saying that the Chaplain indicated a volunteer group put up the scene and that as they were speaking it was being taken down!!!
- To the Air Force's credit it agreed with MRFF's arguments to remove the nativity scene swiftly and apparently found this scene to be as much a violation of all the pertinent regulations and the United States Constitution as MRFF did. Within 2 hours and 15 minutes of initially being contacted by MRFF, the nativity scene had been promptly removed. MRFF wants to congratulate the Air Force on acting so swiftly to reverse this egregious violation and hopes that in the future they will ensure that no such violations continue to occur.
OP-ED PUBLISHED BY
ALTERNET, FEATURED BY
STREET PROPHETS (DAILY KOS)
It's The Hypocrisy, Stupid: Fundamentalist Christian
Bullies Running Amok
in America's Military
by Mikey Weinstein, MRFF Founder and President
Thursday, December 5, 2013
Selected Article Excerpts:
- 'Tis the season when goodwill, family unity, fireside warmth, and generosity seemingly reign; the more discerning eye, however, clearly evinces the cold chill of holiday hypocrisy, crass commercialism, and spiritually vacant pseudo-religious posturing. Within the United States Armed Forces, one needn't wait for the scent of holiday spices and burning yule logs to witness a similarly ugly display.
- Despite pathetically disingenuous damage control efforts by newly-minted Superintendent Lt. Gen. Michelle Johnson, the [Air Force] Academy simply can't shrug off the pungent stench of Keystone Kops negligence and willful malfeasance which it has ignominiously accumulated over its last deplorable decade of serial scandals.
- Many of the worst marks of disgrace on the collective body of the Academy are the self-inflicted result of its Constitutionally derelict leaders violating the religious liberties of cadets, faculty, and staff. This affliction of the most basic civil rights of Air Force Academy personnel is wrought by means of aggressive fundamentalist Christian preaching and proselytizing while in uniform – a wholesale violation of the very same United States Constitution which these leaders have sworn to support and defend with their very lives.
- And, just last month, in my capacity as Founder and President of MRFF, I received a "hate" email that addressed the litanies of egregious, fundamentalist Christian supremacy religious violations that have earned weapons-grade infamy for the Academy. The email read, in part: "God will always be a part of the US Military even when you are gone to meet him face to face... I am on staff at USAFA and will talk about Jesus Christ my Lord and savior to everyone that I work with."Who wrote this wonderful email? None other than Allen Willoughby, head athletic trainer and assistant athletic director at USAFA's prep school.
- Meanwhile, our civil rights foundation perpetually receives a sadly steady torrent of anguished testimonials from myriad sailors, soldiers, marines, airmen, cadets, midshipmen, national guardsmen, reservists and veterans regarding their own profound suffering at the hands of corrupt-to-the-bone so-called "leaders." These plaintive pleas for help have included forced attendance at military Holiday Balls with clear, Christian sectarian religious themes, the coerced swearing of religious oaths, mandatory "spiritual fitness" testing and a veritable plethora of other "spiritual rape" grievances large and small across the entirety of the United States armed forces home and abroad.
- Presently, a new tactic is being employed and deployed by this twisted Christian version of the Taliban. We are seeing a cowardly swarm of smarmy, fundamentalist Christian organizations such as the Family Research Council, American Family Association, Focus on the Family, and Officers' Christian Fellowship, endlessly whining and screaming that it is now THEY who are the "real" victims of "Obama's anti-Christian Defense Department." Those among the Pentagon's top brass and civilian legislatures who take these fraudulent, contrived and mendacious affirmations of victimhood seriously would do well to consider the real "Clear and Present Danger" to good order, morale, and discipline in America's mighty military: It's the hypocrisy, stupid.
ATTENTION FEDERAL EMPLOYEES:
THE CAMPAIGN HAS NOW BEGUN!
YOUR SUPPORT IS NEEDED NOW FOR US TO CONTINUE OUR FIGHT TO PROTECT
SEPARATION OF CHURCH AND STATE
Federal Employees can now contribute to the Military Religious Freedom Foundation (MRFF) through the Combined Federal Campaign (CFC)!
CFC is the world's largest and most successful annual workplace charity campaign, with almost 200 CFC campaigns throughout the country and overseas raising millions of dollars each year!
Are you or a member of your family a federal employee?
MRFF is recognized as a charitable organization that is eligible to participate in the CFC. Now federal employees can support MRFF by designating their CFC donation for MRFF (CFC# 30187).
Your Generous Support Allows us to Continue
our Fight in the Courts and in the Media