Retired USAF Officer and USAFA Grad responds to Air Force Academy Foundation and the Association of Graduates request to provide feedback about the Academy

Published On: March 4, 2024|Categories: Top News|10 Comments|
USAFA cadet chapel

From: (Retired USAF Officer and USAFA Grad’s name withheld)
Subject: Re: Greetings from the Air Force Academy Foundation!
Date: March 3, 2024 at 10:31:13 PM MST
To: Air Force Academy Foundation and the Association of Graduates representative’s name withheld)

Hello Mr. (Air Force Academy Foundation and the Association of Graduates representative’s name withheld),

Forgive me for taking so long to respond.

Quite frankly, I have very conflicted feelings about my time at the Academy and what I now see, 45 years later, with my classmates.

Upon graduation, I felt very proud of myself and the institution.  After all, I did very well (4th in graduation order of merit) at what I felt was a prestigious institution.

Although, I will say I had a major personal disappointment in that I never got a leadership position in my squadron as a senior which I felt I deserved especially compared to those who did get them.  I was relegated to admin roles which contributed in no way to training me as a leader.

Now, in retrospect, I am majorly disappointed with the Academy and my class.

The Academy has become a breeding ground for Christian dominionism which is a cancer in the military and especially the Air/Space Force.  The Academy is breeding officers who put their Christian beliefs before service to the country.  I blame this on Chapel passes and the proliferation of “Christian” churches in Colorado Springs who actively recruit cadets to become their christian crusaders in the military.  USAFA leadership has done NOTHING to prevent this, in fact in some cases has actively encouraged it.  Disgraceful.

Also, I’ve found that many of my classmates have become honor hypocrites in that they have forsaken the honor code (specifically the toleration clause) in embracing lying, thieving, crooked politicians – yes, Trump and his sycophantic followers.  It’s disgusting and disappointing how they refuse to acknowledge how immoral and what lack of integrity these “leaders” have.  A majority of my classmates have become non-thinking lemmings embracing the cult of Trump.

I feel that the Academy has failed to teach cadets the ability to think critically.  Personally, I don’t know how to teach that but it is the Academy’s biggest failing presently.

Now, I am ashamed of the Academy for what it has becomes and what it has produced.  I take no pride in being an alumnus.  It’s an embarrassment to me.  Unfortunately, the public has not caught on to what it has become.

I’m currently working as a contractor supporting the Space Force acquisition arm.  I don’t see any difference in the officer corps between USAFA and other commissioning sources.  Some graduates are excellent, top performers; but not in numbers or percentages that warrant the country’s investment in a service academy.

I served as an Admissions Liaison Officer during my career.  From what I’ve seen in the last decade, I would not recommend to any high schooler that they seek an appointment at a service academy.  The Christian dominionism brainwashing of cadets and the embracement of Trumpism are more serious threats to our democracy than any foreign foes.

To justify its existence, the Academy needs to do better.  It needs to breed critical thinkers, and officers who embrace morality and integrity (yes, honor) versus Christian crusaders and MAGA enthusiasts.

That a graduate proudly participated in the January 6th insurrection was the worst embarrassment I have ever experienced as a USAFA graduate.

Good luck in returning USAFA to a worthy institution.

(Retired USAF Officer and USAFA Grad’s name withheld)
Class of 19XX

1. Don Tartasky, Lt Col (Ret) March 4, 2024 at 1:34 pm

Talk about embracing the cult of Trump-recall a published list of military general officers who supported Trump when he first ran for president. There were quite a number of retired AF generals I was acquainted with during my time in (75-97.) What ignorance and what a disappointment. That the USAFA breeds “Christians” is nothing new. Another reason why there should be universal service and no specific group should have “dominion” over any other group. E Pluribus Unum.

2. GreenSpa March 5, 2024 at 5:32 am

I appreciate your positive feedback! As a woman, I understand the challenges daily life brings, often leaving little time for self-care. Green Spa & Wellness Center (https://greenspany.com) becomes a sanctuary, with over 25 years of expertise in holistic healing. Specializing in various treatments like medical, oncology, pre and post-natal massages, vegan organic skincare, reiki, and microblading, Green Spa prioritizes your well-being. Associated with Legend of the Spa for vegan organic skin and body care and Transformational Gangstas for business coaching and life mindset mastery mentoring, our goal is to provide healing solutions for your physical, mental, and spiritual well-being. Your holistic wellness is our family’s priority.

3. Ooops March 5, 2024 at 11:55 am

“The Academy is breeding officers who put their Christian beliefs before service to the country”

ummmm yea, thats how religion works retard. A higher power above all else.

4. Mark Sebree March 5, 2024 at 1:29 pm

Oops,

So you are saying that only atheists and others that do not believe in a “higher power” are the only ones who are fit to be officers in the military since they do not have religious beliefs to put before their service to the country?

5. Grey One Talks Sass March 5, 2024 at 3:47 pm

Mark Sebree, I concur with your summation what is implied by Oops comment. I’d add that anyone who took the oath of office but professes their faith comes first should be investigated at the least for making a false oath? Not sure of the charge but if one takes an oath upon their faith to defend the Constitution but places their faith above the Constitution, doesn’t that void the oath?

6. Oops March 5, 2024 at 5:28 pm

You guys are rediculous. Do you even know the oath?

I, _____, do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; and that I will obey the orders of the President of the United States and the orders of the officers appointed over me, according to regulations and the Uniform Code of Military Justice. SO HELP ME GOD.

So please… tell me again, how does the oath supercede ones religious beliefs?

7. Grey One Talks Sass March 5, 2024 at 5:46 pm

Oops, When a conflict occurs between country and religion, as it happens, country must come first.

Example – President Biden is Catholic which means his faith says abortion is wrong. When abortion was a still a right a reporter asked about his stance on abortion. Pres Biden said a woman’s right to choice was the law of the land so he supported it. The law of the land, not ones personally held beliefs.

And as Joe Biden is the Commander in Chief, he is a good example of how one’s oath to support and defend the Constitution supersedes one’s faith.

As a Christian nationalist, you won’t see my point Oops. You will insist your faith comes first always but in a secular society ones faith must live always, a flame in the heart while the outside lives by the rules and regulations which govern all personnel. Everyone has their own beliefs and many of them clash. The only way We The People and those who swear an oath to defend Us will succeed is if We put aside our differences and focus on what is important; specifically Democracy. Our Democracy.

I can’t do much but I can rebut every Christian nationalist lie and talking point as I do know how to research an issue. We all do what we can, however we can, for as long as we can, even if it’s to debate trolls on the interwebz.

8. Grey One Talks Sass March 5, 2024 at 5:54 pm

Heard this argument coming in hard and fast – changing the laws to make one specific religion the dominant religion in the nation is unconstitutional. Each person is afforded the right to worship or not as they see fit.

Honestly, the wars of lawyers will be epic.

9. Mark Sebree March 5, 2024 at 9:23 pm

Oops,

As a point of fact, the phrase “so help me god” is not a part of the military oath, or any other government oath. It can be left off if the oath taker so wishes.

For someone in the military, your country ALWAYS comes first. At best, your religious beliefs come second, and preferably do not enter into the equations at all. There are DOD and service regulations, which that oath you listed specifically mentions, which limit the applicability and scope that a person’s religion can play. That includes not imposing your beliefs onto your subordinates.

10. Jeff March 7, 2024 at 9:20 am

Ooops clearly doesn’t know what’s in the constitution and doesn’t know what taking an oath to uphold the constitution means. Ooops also doesn’t seem to understand that the forcing of Christianity on non-Christians in our military will soon give way to the forcing of atheism, Islam, and other religious beliefs on Christians, if Ooops succeeds in allowing Christians to force their beliefs on others now. Christians will soon be in the minority in our country and in our military. Some people are too self-centered to understand that the rules and precedents they establish now to privilege themselves at the expense of others can be used against them in the future.