Bottom two photos by Maria Matveeva, Americans United for Separation of Church and State
Amazing Awardees: Americans United Salutes Two Bold Activists For Church-State Separation
Selected Article Excerpts:
- At a luncheon today, Americans United will present awards to two people who have worked hard to preserve religious freedom for all.
- Corwyn Schultz will receive AU’s Religious Liberty Award. As a high school senior last year, Corwyn had the courage to stand up to official, coercive forms of prayer at his graduation ceremony. A federal judge issued a temporary restraining order striking down the prayers, but unfortunately a higher court overturned it. The case, which is sponsored by Americans United, is ongoing.
- Our second awardee is Mikey Weinstein, founder of the Military Religious Freedom Foundation (MRFF). Mikey will receive AU’s Person of the Year Award, an honor we’ve never given before. He richly deserves it.
- For years, Mikey has been battling an entrenched military culture to ensure that the religious liberty rights of all service personnel are respected – including those of minorities and non-believers. His list of accomplishments is impressive, but you might have seen him in the news over the weekend because of an important MRFF win.
- For his trouble, Weinstein has received a barrage of hate mail and has been attacked by radio hate-mongers Rush Limbaugh and Glenn Beck.
- Against abuse and attacks, Mikey and Corwyn stood up and made a difference. Thanks to their courage, our liberties are more secure. Americans United is proud to salute them today.
Americans United Board of Trustees Education Committee Chair John Suarez introduces Mikey Weinstein, winner of the Americans United Person of the Year Award
Americans United for Separation of Church and State Awards Luncheon Nov. 7, 2011, in Washington, D.C.