So sad

From:  (name withheld)

Subject: So sad
Date: April 13, 2019 at 8:55:15 PM MDT

 

So sad to see Bibles being removed. Also sad to see an organization like you so hell-bent on removing God from everything.

The Bible says, although you don’t really care what it says, “Blessed is the nation whose God is the Lord”.

You are on a mission that is going to destroy or great country. It has never Turned out well for countries who kicked got out. And that is factual history not just a Christian opinion.

I’ll be praying that God will open your eyes to the evil and destruction you are doing to this great land before it’s too late.  Then I hope you’ll put as much effort into it then as you are now but for the good.

(name withheld)

Response from MRFF Advisory Board Member John Compere

On Apr 14, 2019, at 7:43 AM, John Compere  wrote:

 

(name withheld),
 
What is wrong with evangelical Christians putting their religious scripture version on non-religious American POW/MIA dinner table displays at government facilities to publicly proselytize their private religious beliefs without lawful authorization?
 
It is wrong as well as illegal because it (1) disobeys the US Constitution, established law & military regulations, (2) distorts the original historic non-religious purpose of POW/MIA remembrance by promoting their religious scripture version, (3) distracts from POW/MIA remembrance by promoting private religious beliefs not shared by all POWs/MIAs, military members & other Americans, (4) disregards normal dinner table settings that do not include religious scripture versions, & (5) disrespects all military & civilians who are not evangelical Christians.
 
It may not have occurred to you, but our American Constitution provides freedom of belief (religious or non-religious) & others have their own deity & scripture versions & many have no deity & scripture versions. Please reflect rationally if you can on this worldly wisdom –
 
“God enters by private door into every individual.” – Ralph Waldo Emerson (American essayist)
 
“Forced worship stinks in God’s nostrils.” – Roger Williams (American clergy, colony founder & revolutionary)
 
“That anyone would have the audacity to claim knowledge of God’s reasoning is ridiculous.” Bob Schieffer (Dean of American television broadcasters, Face the Nation, March 6, 2011)
 
Most Sincerely,
Brigadier General John Compere, US Army (Retired)
Disabled American Veteran (Vietnam Era)
Advisory Board Member, Military Religious Freedom Foundation (composed of over 80% Christians)

Response from MRFF Advisory Board Member Mike Farrell
On Apr 14, 2019, at 1:25 AM, Mike  wrote:

 

Hi  (name withheld),

 

It’s hard for me to tell by reading your message if you’re simply mistaken or you’re part of the group that is intent on attacking us in order to promote their own agenda. Because I’m not clear about your motive, let me assume yours is an innocent mistake and we can go on from there as you choose.

 

First, I certainly understand that you’re sad about seeing Bibles removed from the POW/MIA tables. That may be because you don’t understand that their placement there in the first place was inappropriate.

 

You then express sorrow because you assume we are “hell-bent on removing God from everything.” That is simply wrong. We recognize and support religious expression in properly designated places and manners.
 

You follow your incorrect charge by suggesting we “don’t care” what the Bible says. That tells me you’re unaware of the fact that over 95% of those associated with the MRFF are Christians.

 

You next assume, again incorrectly, that we are on “a mission” to “destroy or (sic) great country.” I assume you meant ‘our,’ not ‘or.’ And your point about countries that “kicked got (sic) out,” isn’t really relevant to the discussion because it doesn’t apply to us.

 

So that leaves us with you praying that God will open our eyes “to the evil and destruction” we are doing, which is a wasted effort because we aren’t doing what you accuse us of doing.

 

To explain, we support the freedom of religious choice of the women and men in the military. We don’t frankly care what any individual chooses to believe or not believe. That is up to each and every individual. We support the U.S. Constitution and in particular its separation of church and state, believing, along with the Founders of this nation, that people’s right to their own belief system is best protected by ensuring that all aspects of the government (which includes the military) do not promote, proselytize for or promulgate any one religious belief or non-belief over all the others.

 

For the above reason, and because all of the POWs and MIAs being honored by the POW/MIA tables were not Christians, it is inappropriate to place an artifact of a particular belief system on a table intending to honor all those people.

 

I’m sure you, for example, as a Christian, might feel someone was being left out if the table in question was decorated by a Quran or a Torah or a book of some other non-Christian faith. You see, that’s why the original POW/MIA tables were made without any religious artifact included.

 

So, to the point that has so confused you, that’s why we insist that a Bible has no proper place on these tables. It’s not because we hate the Bible or are trying to remove God or are trying to destroy this country, it is just the opposite; we are protecting one of the fundamental freedoms of this country by insisting that the right to believe as one chooses is best honored by leaving religious artifacts to their proper places – in churches, synagogues, temples or quiet places of one’s choice and not presuming it’s proper to assume everyone is a Christian.

 

I hope that helps your understanding and also helps you know the Bible removals are nothing to be sad about. It’s the right thing to do and means no disrespect to either the Bible or to Christianity. If you have any further questions or concerns, please feel free to let us know.

 

Best,

 

Mike Farrell
(MRFF Board of Advisors)

Response from MRFF Founder and President Mikey Weinstein
Subject: Re: So sad
Date: April 14, 2019 at 9:03:27 AM MDT
To: (name withheld)

 

and, by the way sport, that quote from Washington is totally bogus…DO YOUR DAMN HOMEWORK!!


On Apr 13, 2019, at 10:36 PM,  (name withheld) wrote:

 

Maybe…but my voice remains the same.  Blessed is the nation whose God is the Lord.  That God is the God of the Bible.  
Tell me what happens when every man does what is right in his own eyes? 
 
I’ll leave you with a quote from our first president and I think he was on to something. There are so many other quotes and I’m sure you’ve read them all of our founding fathers and their belief in the definite hand of God and the Bible in the successful establishment of our republic.
 
“It is impossible to rightly govern a nation without God and the Bible.”~ George Washington
 
(name withheld)

Response from MRFF Research Director Chris Rodda

On Apr 14, 2019, at 10:36 AM, Chris Rodda  wrote:

Hey chump … this is Chris Rodda, MRFF’s research director — and the person who can prove that the Washington quote is bogus.

Even David Barton, the pseudo-historian who popularized and spread the so-called quote admitted that it was bogus.  When Barton was called out on his use of fake quotes back in the 1990s he put out a list of “unconfirmed quotations” that he’d been using, and told his followers not to use them.
Here is an archived version of Barton’s “unconfirmed” — i.e. bogus — quote list from his website.  Lookie at what the second quote is.
Thank you for playing.
Chris

Response from MRFF Founder and President Mikey Weinstein

On Apr 13, 2019, at 9:32 PM, Mikey Weinstein wrote:

 

you really have very little idea as to what and who MRFF is, it seems.(name withheld)….maybe do a little homework before casting stones?….Mikey Weinstein….head of MRFF…

On Apr 14, 2019, at 10:20 AM, (name withheld) wrote:

Bogus quote or not it’s a true statement.
God Bless

Response from MRFF Founder and President Mikey Weinstein

On Apr 14, 2019, at 10:41 AM, Mikey Weinstein wrote:

It is both totally bogus and totally not true in actually ANY sense, fool… In this country we have a separation between church and state… Read your constitution, Jack

On Apr 14, 2019, at 12:26 PM, (name withheld) wrote:

Chump?  Glad to see you guys don’t get upset easily. Very professional…I didn’t realize the whole staff was going to attack

Response from MRFF Founder and President Mikey Weinstein
You sew what you reap, little friend… You attacked ALL of us right out of the chute … so I’m surprised you are surprised that more than one responded?!… It seems you can dish out the denigration very easily but you can’t take any sort of reasonable rational specific and logical response…

Response from MRFF Advisory Board Member Mike Farrell
On Apr 14, 2019, at 1:23 PM, Mike  wrote:

Hi,

You’re welcome.

Yes it did come off as an attack, but I’m glad to hear you didn’t mean it that way.

As far as your continuing to be troubled by it is concerned, I’m sorry to hear that. I’d suggest, if I may, that you

might give that some thought. Finding a desire for fairness to be troubling because it involves the removal of

a Bible that has been improperly placed suggests a hypersensitivity that I don’t think serves either you or the Bible.

Best,

Mike Farrell


Share this page:

Commenter Account Access

  • Register for a commenter account
    (Not required to post comments, but will save you time if you're a regular commenter)
  • Log in using your existing account
  • Click here to edit your profile and change your password
  • All comments are subject to our Terms of Use

No Comments

Start the ball rolling by posting a comment on this article!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

*