Disgust

On Aug 31, 2019, at 9:47 PM, (name withheld) wrote:

Dear Sir,

I find your public comments about Vice President Pence to be utterly disgusting, reprehensible, disrespectful, anti-American, and completely unworthy of someone who purports to be a supporter of our fine military institutions.  You should be ashamed of yourself.  I know I’m ashamed for you.  It’s one thing to disagree with our public servant in this high office, but to say the things you did about him are despicable.  You ought to do the right thing and apologize, sir.  Our nation is too important for people in your position to say such disgusting things.

(name withheld)


Response from MRFF Advisory Board Member John Compere

On Sep 1, 2019, at 7:51 AM, John Compere  wrote:

(name withheld),
 
Department of Veteran Affairs medical facilities are for veterans of all beliefs seeking health care. They are not worship centers for only some Christians. Religious scriptures can be placed in the hospital chapels for those who want to see, read or use them.
 
To promote & endorse one religion (over all other beliefs) by placing its religious scripture version predominantly in the middle of non-religious POW/MIA remembrance displays in the public foyer of government facilities violates the US Constitution 1st Amendment prohibiting our secular government, which includes the DVA, from promoting or endorsing a religion & requiring its neutrality regarding religion (neither pro-religion nor anti-religion but religion-neutral).
 
When theocratic politicians publicly disrespect the American Constitution as well as the long standing law of our land & publicly support our government’s imposition of “their” version of religion on others, they deserve & subject themselves to criticism by those who respect our constitution, law & the right of veterans to determine, enjoy & practice their beliefs without someone else’s beliefs being imposed upon them. Our nation is too important for people in elected public positions to disrespect the constitution, law & all veterans.
 
The very definition of a republic is “…a nation of laws and not of man.” – 2nd President John Adams
 
John Compere
Brigadier General, Judge Advocate General’s Corps, US Army (Retired)
Former Chief Judge, US Army Court of Military Review
Disabled American Veteran (Vietnam Era)
Advisory Board Member, Military Religious Freedom Foundation (over 80% Christians)

Response from MRFF Advisory Board Member Mike Farrell

On Sep 1, 2019, at 11:08 AM, Mike  wrote:

Hi (name withheld),

You’re worried about the importance of our nation being compromised by the use of free speech? How odd.

Let me point out that among the list of selected adjectives you applied to Mikey’s public comments about Mr. Pence there is one that is unquestionably correct. You may choose to find his comments about the Veep “disgusting” and “reprehensible”; that’s your privilege. I disagree. And, given our cherished right of freedom of speech, the idea that you find his remarks “anti-American” is plainly silly. Perhaps frighteningly so.

I do completely agree, though, with your assertion that they are “disrespectful.” I’m assuming you think Mr. Pence, regardless of what he says, deserves to be treated with respect because he is Vice President of the United States. Really? May I remind you of Spiro Agnew? How about Andrew Johnson, the racist Veep who became President after Lincoln’s assassination and set out to destroy the Reconstruction? To be respected, you think?

Respect is something one earns. Mr. Pence, whose adoring Nancy Reagan-esque stare at his boss who he knows is pathologically spewing untruths, is simply acting out his gratitude to Mr. Trump for rescuing him from political oblivion. As you may recall, the people of Indiana were about to scuttle their soon-to-be ex-governor for his open gay-bashing and his aborted attempt to make it law.

Mr. Pence claims to be a Christian while damning many of your fellow countrywomen and men because of what he deems their unacceptable sexual preference. Now his faux-Christianity empowers him to suborn the separation of church and state. Disrespectful? I’d say Mikey got it about right.

Mike Farrell

(MRFF Board of Advisors)


On Sun, Sep 1, 2019 at 3:57 PM  (name withheld) wrote:

All just opinions, opinions, opinions. Disrespect people, including our nation’s highest offices, merely for opinions. You’re the same as Mikey. And you use language that indicates your own opinions are facts, and think of yourself as the final judge in all you say.

Please don’t write me again, I don’t want to hear your nonsense.

(name withheld)

Response from MRFF Advisory Board Member Mike Farrell

On Sep 1, 2019, at 7:46 PM, Mike  wrote:

Hi (name withheld),

Opinions, yes. You offered yours and I responded. If you’re not interested in a response you might consider keeping your opinions to yourself.

As far as nonsense is concerned, impugning the integrity of a man you don’t know based on your assumptions about him, assumptions derived from your lack of comprehension of a controversial issue ranks high on the list. People who traffic in lies deserve to be called out for their dishonesty. And those who defend them out of ignorance are likely to find themselves called out for wallowing in it.

Mike Farrell

(MRFF Board of Advisors)


On Sun, Sep 1, 2019 at 10:30 PM  (name withheld) wrote:
OK, so my last comment was uncalled for, and wrong. I always enjoyed MASH, one hundred percent, including your time on the show. I have to be honest about that. So I do apologize for that comment. But not for disagreeing with you on the other things. You’re entitled to your opinion, and I’m certainly entitled to disagree with it (strongly). I will just leave it at that.
(name withheld)

Response from MRFF Advisory Board Member Mike Farrell
On Sep 2, 2019, at 10:55 AM, Mike  wrote:

Wow. That’s a lot to take in.

I appreciate the apology, (name withheld), but it wasn’t necessary.  I understand we sometimes go too far when engaging in emotional discussion and my work isn’t really relevant to the issues at hand.

Of course you’re entitled to your opinion, as I am to mine. We disagree, apparently, about a number of things, Mr. Pence’s views and his credibility among them. As far as his determination of the word of God is concerned, he has to live with it. But I abhor the fact that he feels justified by his understanding of God to denounce and defame fellow human beings who are also God’s children simply because of their sexuality.

And for the record, I do not support abortion. I do not, as you appear to, equate it with the “murder of babies in the womb,” but I think there is both an emotional and physical cost to interfering with the natural system. I also believe, however, it is the right of the woman in question to determine for herself the choice of whether or not to carry a pregnancy, no matter how arrived at, to term.

I wish you well.

Mike Farrell

 

 

 

 

Share this page:

Commenter Account Access

  • Register for a commenter account
    (Not required to post comments, but will save you time if you're a regular commenter)
  • Log in using your existing account
  • Click here to edit your profile and change your password
  • All comments are subject to our Terms of Use

No Comments

Start the ball rolling by posting a comment on this article!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

*