Vacation Bible School

Published On: June 7, 2021|Categories: MRFF's Inbox|4 Comments|

On Sun, Jun 6, 2021 at 2:04 PM (name withheld) wrote:

I am a concerned citizen,  and a person who believes in a higher power. How dare you make our community take down a banner advertising vacation Bible school. The only person it OFFENDS is YOU. If anyone else doesn’t like it they obviously don’t have to send their children. I guess you are an atheist, which offends me!!. How dare you!! Apparently you think you are speaking for everyone. Go ahead and bow down, I’m sure you have done it before.

Response from MRFF Supporter James Branum

From: “James M. Branum”
Subject: Re: Vacation Bible School.
Date: June 6, 2021 at 6:22:48 PM MDT
To: , Mikey Weinstein <[email protected]>

Hi (name withheld) ,cc: Mikey Weinstein, Military Religious Freedom Foundation

First— my standard disclaimer applies, in responding to your email I am going to discuss some legal principles, but this shouldn’t be treated as “legal advice” because I am not your attorney.

I didn’t make Fort Sill do anything. The US Constitution’s First Amendment requires it. Let me quote the relevant parts for you: ” Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof”

No part of the US government (including the Army) has the right to endorse one religion over another. The placement of this banner sent a clear message of endorsement.

I am not opposed to there being a VBS, only opposed to it being promoted in a way that implies endorsement. I happen to be a religious person myself, but believe that our government must stay neutral when it comes to religion, because it protects us all.

Sincerely,
James M. Branum
Attorney at Law

• November 22, 2021 | 1 comment
  • November 22, 2021 | No comments
  • November 22, 2021 | No comments
  • November 17, 2021 | No comments
  • November 16, 2021 | No comments

1. Norman Woodward June 8, 2021 at 9:52 am

It did not take an “act of Congress” to put up the sign, nor could an “act of Congress” have taken it down.

It is a great attorney who would cite a law that he obviously didn’t understand.

2. Grey One Talks Sass June 9, 2021 at 6:58 pm

Norman, you are correct. It did not take an act of Congress to put up the Vacation Bible School sign. What was required was a human who took advantage of their position of privilege.

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again. If all religious expression is banned from the public square it will be due to the actions of Christianists who hung the sign on the main gate.

Learn to share. It’s as easy as that.

3. Jeff June 17, 2021 at 3:57 pm

Norman, if you actually read the decisions of the Supreme Court regarding government endorsement of religion, and if you read the opinions about the same subject from the people who wrote the first amendment and inspired it, you will see that James Branum does understand the first amendment very well. It is people who insist on trying to violate the freedom of religion of others who don’t understand – or don’t much care for – the first amendment, which protects religious freedom for all.

4. ironmoped July 14, 2021 at 8:25 pm

To Normon,
    So, you wouldn’t have any objections to a sign hung on the front gate that said, Oh I dunno, something like, “Islamic Summer Camp – Sign Up Now!”

Or, the hanging of Buddhist Prayer Flags on the front gate?

Or, Parsis Summer Camp (Zoroastrianism)!

or, Krishna Consciousness Camp?

?????

I guarantee you’d have seizures!