MRFF Supporters, Board Member & Advisory Board Members Respond to Rancorous “4th of July Message to Mikey Weinstein from USAFA Grads”

Published On: July 5, 2021|Categories: MRFF's Inbox, Top News|4 Comments|
computer keyboard

From: John Smith III
Subject: July 4th Message to Mikey Weinstein from USAFA Grads
Date: July 4, 2021 at 8:00:01 PM MDT
To: Information Weinstein [email protected]

Mr. Weinstein,

This afternoon we hosted a large July 4th get together with a number of USAFA grads and their families at our local club. We had grads there from every decade except the Class of ’59. There were even several classmates of yours from the Class of ’77.

Your name came up as it often does at our gatherings. Suffice it to say that you are very poorly thought of by your fellow USAFA grads. Deservedly so.

As today is the celebration of our nation’s birthday we must say that it seems that you personally have done more to tear down our Great Nation the any other USAFA grad ever has.

You might say that you don’t target Christians but the track record of your MRFF clearly says otherwise.

As we celebrate our country’s unique and blessed greatness today the fact is that it’s common knowledge that the United States of America was established solely on Christian biblical principals and not the basics of any other faith or atheism. You can’t rewrite history Mr. Weinstein try though you and the MRFF might.

The legacy of you and the MRFF will be firmly in the burning trash heap of history as being anti-Christian zealots and bigots.

You are a modern day Saul of Tarsus. But you are much worse than he was as you have attacked more followers of Christ than he ever did.

And your personal legacy will be simply one of a vicious bully with a jewish chip on his shoulder. A man who permanently damaged USAFA’s reputation in revenge for some sort of perceived slight against him and his cadet children by otherwise well meaning people at the Academy who just happened to follow the Gospel of Jesus Christ.

The clear consensus of the USAFA grads and their spouses at our July 4th event today was to permanently censure you for the evils you and the MRFF have committed against our Academy, the U.S. Air and Space Forces, our Defense Department, our entire American nation, and our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ.

I promised our attendees that I would send this email to you for them and for me and my wife.

We all felt that you needed to know.

Reflect on your many evils Mikey Weinstein and plead for the forgiveness of the only One who can exonerate you before you turn to dust. John 14:6 is speaking directly to you.

This e-mail address will not accept any responses from you or your fellow partners in crime at the anti-Christian MRFF.

Signed: On behalf of many USAFA graduates of The Long Blue Line who know you and the MRFF for the sorry rebels against The Lord you are.



Response from MRFF Advisory Board Member Martin France

On Mon, Jul 5, 2021 at 7:58 AM Martin France wrote:

Dear Coward,

Let me say up front that I, too, am a graduate of the US Air Force Academy (’81 Second to None) and serve as a volunteer member of the MRFF’s Advisory Board–something I’ve been proud to do for nearly two decades now. In that capacity, I occasionally answer emails such as yours for Mikey and the organization. I usually do so overtly, declaring my name and association because that is what I was taught as a cadet and learned first-hand as an officer–that as leaders of character we should take responsibility for our thoughts and deeds and show the way. We should not be afraid to do the right thing, both publicly and privately. I take this role seriously because we know how important the MRFF’s role is in protecting members of the military from all forms of religious bias, from all religious perspectives. My family and I, as well as many former cadets and friends of ours have seen first-hand the corrosive damage that this kind of bias can cause in our great uniformed services and nation.Your letter saddens me because you make it clear that that lesson was not ingrained in you or your cowardly cohort. Your letter says that it is “Signed,” but by whom? Moreover, you hide behind a statement that says you will not accept a response–a clear indication of your insecurity and lack of confidence in your primary points. Unlike what I learned, you are not open to discussion or debate or opposing views. You are certain in your bigotry and bias. You see only one side as absolute and will cover your ears like a toddler instead of trying to understand the plight of others. You, fellow graduate, are a coward of the highest order–the type of coward that would allow the worst forms of racism, theism, sexism, and violence, so long as it supported your narrow self-interest AND you could remain anonymous, not unlike the non-Jewish neighbors of Auschwitz or spectators to the horrors in Kigali or Tulsa or Wilmington.Your point of MRFF anti-Christianity is so absurd and the converse so well-documented on our web-site that I will not address it. I myself have written dozens of replies to similar claims, while signing my name, that are posted there that I know any additional comment would be wasted on you as would explanations of the function and use of a credit card to a Labrador.One quick thought, though, and a request of you if you do find this note on our webpage and read it: If you honestly believe that the only good Academy grad is a Christian Academy grad, and that the only Americans that can honorably serve in the US Military are Christians of your ilk, THEN SAY SO AND SIGN YOUR NAME FOR ALL TO SEE FOR ALL TIME! Anything less makes you and your snickering group of petty sycophants and closeted critics cowards unworthy of the ring, an embarrassment to the Long Blue Line of leaders of character with whom I have served on active duty and as a cadet for over 40 years.To say one feels strongly about an issue, enough to condemn another human being in the vilest terms, but yet cannot take ownership of that position even in a simple private email. I don’t know how you live with yourself. I’d like to think that your case is rare, but the thousands of unsigned hate emails we receive and the nearly 80,000 clients we served prove otherwise.Please don’t hesitate to tell your other fellow cowards that I wrote this. I will respond to any that identify themselves and use a valid email.With Deepest Disappointment in Our Alma Mater (For You)

Marty France, PhD
Brigadier General, USAF (Retired)
Professor Emeritus, USAF Academy
MRFF Advisory Board Member



Response from MRFF Supporter

July 4, 2021 at 9:59:47 PM MDT

I presume the identity of the sender of the message is unknown.     Here’s another message from someone who is not afraid to reveal his identity:   Dear Mikey,   My family had a fine 4th of July barbeque today and your name came up.  We all hold you, and what you do, in the highest regard.   Milt Johnson

Class of 77


Response from MRFF Supporter

Ladies and gentlemen,

I am a classmate of Mr. Weinstein and am writing to respond to your odd 4th of July message to him. 

Your message is odd because you and your friends are unaware (although it is apparent to everyone else) that Mr. Weinstein is living rent-free in your heads. It’s also clear that Mr. Weinstein’s residency there has caused the group of you to lose command of your collective mental faculties, at least so far as they relate to your analysis of U.S. history, law, and culture.  As if that weren’t enough, you appear to be suffering from delusions about your importance, at least to the extent that you claim to speak for USAFA graduates.

Let me start by addressing the last point.  The Air Force Academy graduate community is large, diverse, and consists for the most part of people who paid more attention to their classes in interpersonal relations, constitutional law, and history than you all.  If you left your religious silo of intolerance for a while, you would know that.  

You would also know that many if not most of your fellow graduates, people such as myself, have no patience with the type of religious zealotry (read: “bigotry”) you express in your message. You represent only yourselves. And you are a poor lot, and poor representatives of our institution.  

Not only is your message unrepresentative of the graduate community, it is wrong in terms of its expression of US history and culture. In fact, your theocratic fervor causes you to ignore one of the most basic aspects of U.S. constitutional law, the express determination by the Founders that there was not to be a state religion and that government was to stay as far away as possible from involvement with the various churches present in the colonies. This prohibition has remained throughout our history and has been refined and reinforced through a variety of state and federal court decisions.

Did you all attend the same school that Mr. Weinstein and I did? Because this was one of the predominant themes that was hammered into us in our core law and history courses. I don’t understand how so many of you in your graduate “club” managed to miss that.

Mr. Weinstein and his organization are not above reproach. But they are well above criticism in the form of sloppy thinking and meritless analysis present in your message. As a fellow graduate, I charge you to do better. You should reflect upon our commissioning oath, the meaning of our marvelous Constitution and Declaration of Independence, and the nature of our roles as citizen soldiers in this great country. Soldiers dedicated to the defense of the ideals of that country. 

And then you should send Mr. Weinstein an apology.

John J Michels Jr. 
U.S. Air Force Academy Class of 1977


Response from MRFF Supporter

July 4, 2021 at 10:38:53 PM MDT

Mikey,

I would be doing the MRFF a disservice by replying to this embarrassing example of a USAFA grad. I am not as eloquent a writer as all of you other supporters and Board members. Also, I’m not sure what kind of KKK Rally (name withheld) was hosting as his event but he obviously failed any class at the Zoo dealing with the Constitution of the United States….I mean, it’s pretty far down on the Bill of Rights…..way down there in spot one where James Madison authored (in the first sentence) “Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion”…..weird, so either the Bill of Rights are all Bullshit, or MAYBE, this (name withheld) the 3rd is full of shit. Maybe John Smith the 4th will get it right, or even better….hopefully (name withheld) III hasn’t procreated. 

Outside of Mr (name withheld) III’s KKK July 4th rally, there are thousands of USAFA grads that admire, appreciate, and value the work you do….I am just one of those many. The fact that over 90% of your clients identify as “Christian” also speaks volumes to your legitimacy and cause. You have never “attacked the followers of Christ” as he says, but you are the recipient of the most heinous and undeserved vitriol spewed from self-proclaimed Christians. These “Christians” are the furthest from Christ-like and Godly that I have ever seen in my life. 

These fools don’t even deserve a response. They are mad because you are David to their bullying, yet constantly defeated, Goliath. They are mad, because they are weak. They are mad, because they hide behind bullshit email addresses, scared that someone will lift their white hood from their head and someone will recognize them for the bigoted/racist/bully they are. 

I wish I could respond. While I hope someone does respond, I don’t think you should waste any more time on these fake peddlers of Christianity. I know plenty of Christians, and Christ didn’t wear the same white robes that (name withheld) does….

MRFF Supporter


Response from MRFF Supporter

July 4, 2021 at 10:58:29 PM MDT

Club? Common knowledge? Revenge?  Balderdash!

Email address will not accept any responses from fellow partners in crime — don’t tell me anything I don’t want to hear! my mind is closed!

Happy to be a partner in crime with MRFF.

Happy 4th, (name withheld)


Response from MRFF Supporter and Volunteer

July 4, 2021 at 11:28:37 PM MDT

 To Whom it may concern, ( as on some level you hide, even your names you hide.)     My immediate question to you; what is the name  you left out when referencing the July 4th gathering of former grads frm USAFA at “our local club..” This “local club” conjures up a multitude of scenarios and continued on as I read your email to my friend and brother, Mikey.    And my second question; were you not instructed at the USAFA, on the contents with in the United States Constitution? It’s alarming in knowing that bigoted religious cult groups, as revealed in your familiar  rant, bring forth only a spiritual flat earthen darkness. Yet claim to know of Jesus, butit’s clearly apparent the lack wisdom and decernment. Key signs of a spiritually developed follower.Exampes:1. You claim to know of the Gospel of Jesus Christ, yet your Jesus, commands you to Love your neighbor. 2. our Constitution has  clarity regarding Separation of Church and State, the Establishment Clause.  And for some odd reason neither one of the foundational principles do you appear to respect OR follow. It’s truly tragic, as one who is a brethren of faith OR one of ” We the People,” or both…without wisdom, decernment and yes, respect, the foundation of this country of ours, is on shaky ground. 

 In Peace,     

(name withheld)         


Response from MRFF Supporter

On Jul 4, 2021, at 11:41 PM, (name withheld) wrote:

Mr. (name withheld):

I’m replying to you as a graduate of the Virginia Military Institute Class of 1962 and a second-generation Regular Army officer, altho my father retired as a Colonel and I resigned after 6 1/2 years, including tours with the 101st Airborne Division and a year in Vietnam with the 25th Infantry Division.

The USA was founded on the basis of separation of church and state, and there are many writings by the founding fathers on that subject.  From the second president John Adams, for example:

““As the Government of the United States of America is not, in any sense, founded on the Christian religion,—as it has in itself no character of enmity against the laws, religion, or tranquility, of Mussulmen [Muslims],—and as the said States never entered into any war or act of hostility against any Mahometan [Mohammedan] nation, it is declared by the parties that no pretext arising from religious opinions shall ever produce an interruption of the harmony existing between the two countries.”
    [Adams submitted and signed the Treaty of Tripoli, 1797]

If you care to open your mind and educate yourself, you might someday become a true patriot of this country.  Until then, you and your ignorant cohorts from the USAFA will continue to oppose the principles on which the country was founded, and therefore not be true patriots.

I call you ignorant.  I am ignorant of many things, but, echoing General Milley’s recent statement to a congressional committee, I am open to learning things of which I am ignorant.  I want to know.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oz7yDU1FmJQ

There’s another saying:  Ignorance is curable, but stupidity is forever.  Failing to cure ignorance is stupidity.

(name withheld)
VMI ’62


Response from MRFF Supporter

Sunday, July 4, 2021 11:46 PM

Dear Mr. (name withheld):

Mr. Weinstein does not tear down Christians. I know this. I am one. What he does do, and rightly so, is stand in the way of zealotry that inflicts a single point of view on all our military personnel regardless of their own views.  It is why we, California Council of Churches IMPACT, support him.  He defends all of us.

The stunning lack of respect that some professed Christians have for others sharing this broad view of faith is appalling to most of us. At what point did the Christian community become so intolerant of one another much less of all others outside our religion?  We are working backwards from the profound decency we once hewed over the centuries following the Inquisition and Crusades where people were tortured for seeing God and humanity differently from the views of the dominant religion.  Do we seriously wish that to return?  Most of us would not survive that. Who would win?  Whose view would prevail?  What if – and this is very real – what if it’s not yours?

We are, and this is critical, abandoning the foundational principles of American inclusiveness where no religious view may hold sway over any other.  Our founders saw the evils of religious war, of religious domination.  We embedded that in our Constitution so that no one religion could hold sway over any other. Our nation’s military upholds the Constitution and those putting their lives on the line for our country and those principles, cannot be forced, coerced, dominated, or otherwise bombarded by views that are not their own.
 
Mr. Weinstein fights for the founding principles of religious freedom.  I, as a practicing Christian, thank him for it.  Just in case you find yourself in the minority position, I should hope you’d thank him, too.  He will defend you, if you should ever need it.  But he won’t hesitate to stand up to you if you insist on pushing our military to accept your view and yours alone.  That’s un-American. It’s un-Constitutional. And, frankly, it’s un-Christian.
 
I hope you’ve had a glorious Fourth of July.  It’s time that honors when we declared independence from an oppressive subordination of our lives that included resisting the growing effort to bring us all into the Church of England, like it or not.  Celebrate your freedom by respecting Mr. Weinstein’s fight for your and everyone else’s rights.  It’s the American Way.  I hope your group of Air Force grads fully appreciate the gift Mr. Weinstein gives you to pursue your own faith without coercion.  Honor that because you honor our American Experience and our Constitution. 
Sincerely,

(name withheld)


Response from MRFF Advisory Board Member Mike Farrell

On Jul 5, 2021, at 1:14 AM, Mike wrote:

(name withheld), you are a disgusting, sniveling, arrogant pretender, a fake Christian of the lowest order. Like others of your ilk, you try to hide your bigotry behind a pretense of devotion to Jesus while gleefully slobbering out the most vile, insulting anti-Semitic garbage.

I suspect it pains you that someone like Mikey knows more about his country and its history, about the military and the U.S. Constitution than you do. Let me expose you to another painful truth:; Mikey knows more about the Bible than you do, too.

You, who today calls himself (name withheld), are a pathetic clown, a cowardly Christian-Nationalist anti-Semite who has to wrestle uncomfortably with the knowledge that Jesus was a Jew. It pains me to consider what the man who gave the sermon on the mount would think of someone like you who so despoils his teaching and tarnishes his name. Of course he spoke Aramaic and probably Hebrew, but today, in Yiddish, he’d be thinking “what a schmuck!, what a putz!”

L’Chaim.

Mike Farrell
(MRFF Board of Advisors)


Response from MRFF Supporter Cameron Cowan

On Jul 5, 2021, at 12:24 AM

Hello!

Thank you for writing into MRFF. My name is Cameron and I’m a journalist who has profiled MRFF. You can read my piece here: https://cameroncowan.medium.com/the-military-religious-freedom-foundation-and-americas-new-holy-war-9a1646825f8a

It seems that you are confused about the nature of this organization. MRFF does not target christians. They protect service men and women from Christian Nationalists who would like to use the power of the US Military for advance religious goals. They also help service men and women freely express their religion, as is their right as an American. Many clients of MRFF are Christians themselves who don’t want to be pressured by their superior officers to practice are participate in a certain religion. They also don’t want to feel religious pressure while doing their jobs defending the nation. MRFF wants religious freedom but actual religious freedom not the freedom to participate in just one religion. 

You also seem to be a bit confused about the Founding Fathers. The Founding Fathers did not create America as a Christian nation. In fact, the first amendment (Congress shall establish no religion nor prohibit the free exercise thereof) was passed specifically to prevent a national religion. The Supreme Court has reaffirmed religious freedom and liberty time and again. I would refer to the Federalist papers for the thoughts of the Founders on this topic. The old world had (and still has) state religion. The founders did not want state religion. In my research for the piece about MRFF, I found out that much of the christian nationalist activity is trying to all but establish a state religion. That is counter to American values and I’m sure you can agree with me on that. 

I regret that your friends have such a dim view of MRFF and the work Mr. Weinstein does but MRFF is helping our service men and women. I would invite you to re-examine your views on MRFF and your views of religious freedom in this country.
 
I hope this finds you well and I hope you had an excellent Fourth of July. 

Cameron Cowan
The Cameron Journal
cameronjournal.com


Response from MRFF Supporter

On Jul 5, 2021, at 6:50 AM, (name withheld) wrote:

Mikey,

I became nauseated when I read this tripe as I am sure that you and members of your family did as well.  The writers display little understanding of this Nation and its Constitution.  Unfortunately, many of these USAFA graduates are entrusted with thesecurity of this country and that is frightening.
Your work today, I believe, is more timely than ever before — and increasingly effective.
In admiration,

Peace,

(name withheld)


Response from MRFF Board Member John Compere

On Jul 5, 2021, at 9:23 AM, John Compere wrote:

Your anonymous & acrimonious anti-Semitic, anti-American & anti-Christian repugnant religious ranting represents only yourself & reveals only contemptible cowardice lacking the courage & conviction to provide correct identification. The fact that you would spend American Independence Day hurling unAmerican hatred at fellow Americans displays diabolical derangement.

For your information, the Military Religious Freedom Foundation is a non-profit civil rights advocacy organization & 7 time Nobel Peace Prize nominee composed of 85% Christians. We represent over 74,000 military men & women (95% of whom are Christians) who requested their right to religious freedom guaranteed them by the US Constitution be protected. We proudly & patriotically represent them & will continue to do so. Malevolent & moronic messages like yours increases both our determination & support from loyal Americans who respect the Constitution.For your historical enlightenment, read my article,”The Significance of Our American Independence”, on the MRFF website (militaryreligiousfreedom.com). Your absurd & asinine attempt to deny & rewrite our nation’s secular establishment is not worthy of consideration. For your scriptural enlightenment, reflect on 1 John 2:9-11 which speaks directly to you.

“Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction.” – Blaise Pascal (Christian philosopher).”There is no argument in the world that carries the hatred that a religious belief one does.” – Mark Twain (American philosopher)

Brigadier General John Compere, US Army (Retired)
Disabled American Veteran (Vietnam Era)
Board Member, Military Religious Freedom Foundation


Response from MRFF Supporter Kathy Lenhardt

July 5, 2021 at 12:25:52 PM MDT

Mr. (name withheld)

I am sure you and your fellow cowardly ersatz Christians had a lovely 4th in your echo-chamber club. The reason I say ersatz Christian is that you not only spent your holiday not loving your enemy but also encouraged everyone around you to do the same. 

NOBODY cares what any of you think about Mr. Weinstein.

Mr. Weinstein only builds up this nation and our Constitution.

Mr. Weinstein doesn’t target true Christians.

If this country was built upon any religious values, they are Judeo-Christian values, as the Ten Commandments clearly belong to the Jews. We make our meager attempts to follow them because our Saviour was a Jew. As far as who is rewriting history, you should read about the Bible that Thomas Jefferson cut up and pasted back together. He removed anything miraculous, so he was really more of a deist than a Christian. As far as Christian Biblical principles, it is quite difficult to find anyone in this country who even attempts to love their neighbor, let alone anyone who is truly successful.
Would that trash heap be the same one that holds the zealots who believed that Jesus came to bring down the Roman Empire (and their modern counterparts who believe that Jesus loves the US more than any other country)? or the one that holds bigots who don’t understand the two greatest commandments nor the Great Commission? (I’m just kidding about the trash heap; God loves all of those people, as He loves Mr. Weinstein.)

Saul of Tarsus tortured and killed Christians. I know we’ve become a nation of whiney babies, but do you equate forcing people to follow the Constitution with torture and murder?
The bullies are the officers who force subordinates to worship the way they do, and USAFA grads who threaten people.

I’m sure that Mr. Weinstein is horrified that he has been censured by your little party.
Matthew 7:1-5 is speaking directly to you.

Signed: A life-long Christian, daughter of a sainted Air Force chaplain, and decades-long personal friend of Mr. Weinstein who knows much better than you and all of your hateful cohorts who he really is.


Response from MRFF Advisory Board Member James T. Currie

On Jul 5, 2021, at 1:00 PM,James T. Currie wrote:

(name withheld),

According to Air Force statistics, a total of 52,682 young men and women have graduated from the United States Air Force Academy since its first class completed its course of study in 1959. I don’t know how many of these graduates were present at your Fourth of July celebration, but I suspect that it was only a minuscule percentage. It is therefore disingenuous at best, dishonest at worst, for you to claim that your beliefs represent anything other than the befuddled and unfounded mutterings of a handful of religious fanatics. It is clear from the tone of your July 4 email to Mikey Weinstein that the small group you assembled—if your report of their beliefs was correct—are part of that tiny minority of military servicemembers who do not understand our Constitution and the meaning of the First Amendment. Perhaps you all should have studied more diligently when you were in class at the AFA those many years ago.

I find it most ironic that you sent your email to Mr. Weinstein on July 4, the day in 1776 on which the final draft of the Declaration of Independence was approved by the Continental Congress. Perhaps you do not remember that this Declaration was largely drafted by Thomas Jefferson, a delegate from Virginia whose words we quote and revere every year at this time. “We hold these truths to be self-evident,” wrote Jefferson, “that all men are created equal . . . .” You may not know that Jefferson was also the author of the Virginia Statute for Religious Freedom, a 1777 law which protected Virginians from the imposition of a state-sponsored religion. Jefferson understood the tyranny that emanates from religious fanatics such as yourself. In 1801, ten years after the adoption of the First Amendment to the Constitution, Jefferson explained his Constitutional views in a letter to the Danbury, CT, Baptist association.

“Believing with you,” he wrote to the members of the association, “that religion is a matter which lies solely between Man & his God, that he owes account to none other for his faith or his worship, that the legitimate powers of government reach actions only, & not opinions, I contemplate with sovereign reverence that act of the whole American people which declared that their legislature should ‘make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof,’ thus building a wall of separation between Church & State.” 

This “wall of separation between Church & State” is at the heart of what the Military Religious Freedom Foundation stands for and works toward. Contrary to your assertions, MRFF—of which I am proudly a member of the Advisory Board—is not anti-religious, and it is certainly not anti-American, as is implied in your email. To the contrary, the MRFF is dedicated to upholding the finest traditions of our republic, as expressed by Jefferson, Madison, and George Washington. Washington is not often quoted with respect to the religious freedom guaranteed by our Constitution, but there is no doubt as to his views on the subject. In 1789, shortly after becoming our first President, Washington wrote to the Baptists of Virginia.

“If I could conceive,” he wrote to the Baptists, “that the general [federal] government might ever be so administered as to render the liberty of conscience insecure … no one would be more zealous than myself to establish effectual barriers against the horrors of spiritual tyranny, and every species of religious persecution.” Please note that Washington referred to “liberty of conscience” in his letter to the Baptists, meaning that everyone has the right under our Constitution to believe as they choose with regard to religion, including the right to have no religious beliefs whatsoever if that is how their conscience guides them.

The First Amendment, drafted by James Madison with assistance from George Mason, was proposed and adopted by the members of the First Congress because the original body of the Constitution does not specifically protect religious liberty. Its first guarantee is that “Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof.” This prohibition, which applies to both the federal government and every governmental body at the State and local level, precedes the guarantees of freedom of speech and freedom of the press, incredibly important Constitutional guarantees that are also contained in the First Amendment. This, in the opinion of scholars, signifies the importance that our Founding Fathers placed on freedom of religious thought and practice, and it is one of the strengths of our republic.

You state in your email, that “it’s common knowledge that the United States of America was established solely on Christian biblical principals [sic] and not the basics of any other faith or atheism. You can’t rewrite history Mr. Weinstein try though you and the MRFF might try.” Unfortunately, you are the one who is attempting to rewrite history.” Your knowledge and understanding of the creation of our republic and the meaning of our Constitution are as shallow as a puddle and do not stand any test of rationality. Your anti-Semitic attack on Mr. Weinstein is, unfortunately, the last refuge of those who cannot appeal to reason, law or history and is an unfortunate revelation of a huge problem underlying your entire point of view. You put yourself out in public as a Christian, quoting Bible verses and appealing to your own narrow constituency, while you are, in reality, only a self-aggrandizing bigot.

I could provide more historical and legal analysis to demonstrate the error of your position, but it would probably be too far over your head. I only hope that someday you will be struck by the truth, as was Saul on the road to Damascus, and that the scales will fall from your pitiful eyes.

For the record, I taught for eighteen years as a Professor of National Security Studies at the Defense Department’s National Defense University, have a Ph.D. in History and Government from the University of Virginia, and served thirty years in the U.S. Army. I am also an ordained elder in the Presbyterian Church.

James T. Currie

MRFF Advisory Board Member


Response from MRFF Advisory Board Member John Whiteside

On Jul 5, 2021, at 4:35 PM, John Whiteside wrote:

MRFF is not anti-christian. They are anti-Christian Nationalist. I’m sure you think this is a “christian nation”, but you are misled, same as the people that invaded our capitol. We are a republic, which protects the rights of minorities. This applies to religion. One day, Christians will be a minority religion in the United States, and your fear of becoming a minority religion is what is leading the recounts of votes by biased individuals, and attempts at voter suppression in numerous republican states. President Biden won by 5 million votes. Get over it!

The more you show your Christian Nationalist rants, the more people get disgusted with your religion. You are the same as  fundamentalists in any religion that try to inject religion into law. You know, kind of like “sharia law” being the law of the land here in the US. 

You need to learn to love your neighbor. That does not mean “converting them or else”. That does not mean injecting your version of your God into the lives of citizens of this country. This applies especially to the military. I am grateful to the leadership in the military, especially General Milley and General/ SecDef Austin. They are doing what was done in the 1950’s to root out racists in the military. It is past due to do the same to Christian Nationalists. 

I speak from personal experience concerning the juxtaposition between racism and the current Christian Nationalist movement. By family, I am related to Federal Judge Frank Johnson. He was the judge that made the Selma March decision, Rosa Parks decision, and told his University of Alabama classmate George Wallace he was going to prison if he tried to stop integration. His home was bombed by people ( a minister) that were “just following the bible” concerning mixing races. Christian Nationalism in the US faces the same sad historical fate, and again I implore you to examine your beliefs and the rights of other US citizens to not follow your version of your God. 

SINCERELY,John Whiteside 
MRFF Advisory Board Member
Founder, United Church of Bacon, and…20 year veteran LTC combat proven fighter pilot


Response from MRFF Supporter

On Jul 5, 2021, at 7:23 PM, (name withheld) wrote:

Dear (name withheld), if that is your real name,

I am a recently retired Christian Navy Chaplain. I retired after a combined 39 years, 4 months, and 6 days of combined service in the Army, its reserve components and the Navy. In addition I Crew up in a Navy family where Chaplains of different faiths than my family cared for us when civilian churches of our denomination made us unwelcome because of my dad’s service in Vietnam. I served as an enlisted man, and was commissioned as a Second Lieutenant in the Active Duty Army from the Army ROTC program at UCLA in 1983. I have been a platoon leader, company XO and Commander, NBC Defense Officer, Air Load Planner, and staff officer at battalion, group, and brigade level before I left active duty returning to the National Guard to attend seminary.

Your ignorance and profound hatred about Mr Weinstein and the mission of the MRFF is so obvious it it useless to argue with you. I know the history of how the USAFA became a hotbed of fundamentalist Christian theocracy. It began in the late 1980s when James Dobson moved the headquarters of Focus on the Family to Colorado Springs to avoid paying sales taxes on the plethora of books and tapes that he was selling. Soon para-church ministries like the Navigators, Campus Crusade, and others moved in promising to help the Chaplains provide more services without the Air Force having to pay for them. This was a deception because now these groups are on nearly every military installation and want to be paid for their services while using taxpayer funded facilities.

I can testify to the fact that these groups are actively working against the Chaplain Corps of every Service in order to get lucrative contracts to provide religious ministries that will be nothing more than propagating Fundamentalist Christianity and denying the rights of the majority of military members who are not Christians. 

Believe me, as a graduate of a Southern Baptist Seminary, prior to the Fundamentalist takeover I know something about the First Amendment, the Establishment and Free Exercise Clauses of its protections of religious liberty, as well as its predecessor, the Virginia Statute on Religious Liberty. 

Both Jefferson, a religious skeptic who wrote the Virginia Statute, and Madison, a Deist, who wrote the First Amendment were influenced and partnered with the great Virginia Baptist leader John Leland to bring the kind of religious liberty to this country that Mr. Weinstein seeks to defend for all people. In fact 96% of his clients are Christians. I was one of them when a man who disagreed with a sermon of mine lied about what I said and attempted to get me tried by Court Martial. His complaints were not even religious which the sermon was based on using the scripture readings from that Sunday’s lectionary readings.  I had to go through the ordeal of a formal investigation and thankfully Mr. Weinstein came to my defense. His legal team sought out the truth and by the time the investigation was over I was completely exonerated mostly because the people in the Chapel who were there for that sermon all categorically denied the allegations. Despite that, many of those people continued to work against me with the help of these para-Church groups ousting the chapel to run weekday programs.

Your arguments of the United States being established as a Christian nation and a Christian principles are based on lies, mythology and propaganda. That is a fact as I am not only a Christian Chaplain with a Master of Divinity and Doctor of Ministry, but a trained historian with Bachelors and Masters degrees in history, a year long hospital residency in Clinical Pastoral Education, and besides the plethora of service schools that I attended in the Army and Navy I am a graduate of the Marine Corps Staff College and the Joint Combined War Fighting School. In other words I completed both Joint Military Professional Education One and Two. I served as Faculty, as an Assistant Professor at the Joint Forces Staff College where I taught Ethics and led the Gettysburg Staff Ride.

You oppose Mr. Weinstein because he stands in your way of an authoritarian, and dare I say Fascist Christian Theocracy, led by a minority of Americans, many being White Supremacists who have already tried once to overthrow the government of the United States by by force and violence. Sadly many were carrying a Christian flags and crosses as they attacked the Capitol.

Leland, a product of the Great Awakening who believed that the Gospel should be preached also believed as other great Baptists before him in England and the United States did in the absolute separation of Church and State took the lead. Following the Revolution the Anglican Church in Virginia was persecuting Baptists, Methodists, and Quakers in order to restore its place as the State Religion. They attacked Baptists meetings, took the pastors, deacons and members to the local stream, river, lake, or pond and “re-baptized” them until they drowned or nearly drowned. Leland, the evangelical patterned with the skeptic and the Deist to protect the religious liberties of all. Leland wrote:

1790
“The notion of a Christian commonwealth should be exploded forever. … Government should protect every man in thinking and speaking freely, and see that one does not abuse another. The liberty I contend for is more than toleration. The very idea of toleration is despicable; it supposes that some have a pre-eminence above the rest to grant indulgence, whereas all should be equally free, Jews, Turks, Pagans and Christians.” John Leland, “A Chronicle of His Time in Virginia,” The Writings of the Later Elder John Leland, published in 1845.

1791
“These establishments metamorphose the church into a creature, and religion into a principle of state, which has a natural tendency to make men conclude that Bible religion is nothing but a trick of state.” John Leland, “Right of Conscience Inalienable, and Therefore, Religious Opinions Not Cognizable By The Law,” The Writings of the Later Elder John Leland, published in 1845.

1791
“Is conformity of sentiments in matters of religion essential to the happiness of civil government? Not at all. Government has no more to do with the religious opinions of men than it has with the principles of mathematics. Let every man speak freely without fear–maintain the principles that he believes–worship according to his own faith, either one God, three Gods, no God, or twenty Gods; and let government protect him in so doing, i.e., see that he meets with no personal abuse or loss of property for his religious opinions. Instead of discouraging him with proscriptions, fines, confiscation or death, let him be encouraged, as a free man, to bring forth his arguments and maintain his points with all boldness; then if his doctrine is false it will be confuted, and if it is true (though ever so novel) let others credit it. When every man has this liberty what can he wish for more? A liberal man asks for nothing more of government.” John Leland, “Right of Conscience Inalienable, and Therefore, Religious Opinions Not Cognizable By The Law,” The Writings of the Later Elder John Leland, published in 1845.

1804
“Experience…has informed us that the fondness of magistrates to foster Christianity has done it more harm than all the persecutions ever did.” The Writings of the Later Elder John Leland, published in 1845.

1820
“The liberty I contend for is more than toleration. The very idea of toleration is despicable; it supposes that some have a pre-eminence above the rest to grant indulgence; whereas all should be equally free, Jews, Turks [Muslims], Pagans and Christians. Test oaths and established creeds should be avoided as the worst of evils.” The Writings of the Later Elder John Leland, published in 1845.This you coward who uses a pseudonym and a fake email address is what Mikey Weinstein and those who stand with him fight: the religious liberty of all, including you should you ever be accosted by a militant Atheist commander like evangelicals were in an Air Force Squadron were a couple of years ago. 
If anything, Mikey Weinstein and the MRFF understand the meaning of Independence Day, the Declaration, the Constitution, Bill of Rights, the Gettysburg Address and the Four Freedoms better than you ever will. Yet you say that he has done “more to damage the USAFA more than anyone.” You are sick and deluded. You call him a coward, you demean his military and post-military career, and accuse him of crimes and committing evils against this country, and of course “the Lord Jesus Christ.”
You pervert the Gospel. You pervert the Constitution, you deny the unalienable rights of the Declaration, and you seek to establish YOUR version of Christianity as the State Religion. You and your ilk are exactly what our founders warned of about. You find your home with Constantine and every other leader who has co-opted the Church to buttress the State. Another great American Baptist leader, Issac Backus wrote in 1774:

“Religious matters are to be separated from the jurisdiction of the state, not because they are beneath the interests of the state but, quite to the contrary, because they are too high and holy and thus are beyond the competence of the state.” 

“God has appointed two kinds of government in the world, which are distinct in their nature, and ought never to be confounded together; one of which is called civil, the other ecclesiastical government.” 

Isaac Backus, colonial Baptist from New England, An Appeal to the Public for Religious Liberty(available online)You see as a Christian Chaplain and trained historian I love using the words of American Christians who lived while our country was founded against people like you because they completely cut the ground out from under your claims. But let me not stop there. I love it when I get on a roll. George Truett, the great Southern a Baptist Pastor of First Baptist Church of Dallas and President of my alma matter Southwestern Baptist Theological Seminary wrote:

“That utterance of Jesus, “Render therefore unto Caesar the things which are Caesar’s, and unto God the things that are God’s,” is one of the most revolutionary and history-making utterances that ever fell from those lips divine. That utterance, once and for all, marked the divorcement of church and state. It marked a new era for the creeds and deeds of men.”
 
And this: 

“Constantine, the Emperor, saw something in the religion of Christ’s people which awakened his interest, and now we see him uniting religion to the state and marching up the marble steps of the Emperor’s palace, with the church robed in purple. Thus and there was begun the most baneful misalliance that ever fettered and cursed a suffering world… When … Constantine crowned the union of church and state, the church was stamped with the spirit of the Caesars.”

And this: 

“Our contention is not for mere toleration, but for absolute liberty. There is a wide difference between toleration and liberty. Toleration implies that somebody falsely claims the right to tolerate. Toleration is a concession, while liberty is a right. Toleration is a matter of expediency, while liberty is a matter of principle.”

But I’m not done, Truett also said:

“Christ’s religion needs no prop of any kind from any worldly source, and to the degree that it is thus supported is a millstone hanged about its neck.”

“The right to private judgment is the crown jewel of humanity, and for any person or institution to dare to come between the soul and God is a blasphemous impertinence and a defamation of the crown rights of the Son of God.”

“And not only did this great consolidated ecclesiasticism assume to lord it over men’s earthly treasures, but they lorded it over men’s minds, prescribing what men should think and read and write.”

That sir is what you proscribe when you so shamefully and cowardly attack Mr. Weinstein. Based on what you wrote about Saul of Tarsus I am sure this has something to do with a latent anti-Semitism that you harbor, since Mr. Weinstein is a Jew. One think I have found about most conservative and Fundamentalist Christians is that they make great boasts defending the right of the State of Israel to exist but treat American Jews shamefully. But there is a reason for that. In much Fundamentalist and Evangelical theology Israel has to exist and be persecuted by the anti-Christ with two thirds of all Jews being killed before the the survivors convert to Christianity when Jesus returns. That’s a big reason you hate Mr. Weinstein and consign him and those who support him to Hell.

You and you are no patriot. You are a pretender, as are those like you. My God, you are a pathetic excuse for a human being.

I spent a lifetime protecting the religious liberties of all who came to me, because I swore an Oath to the Constitution, and like Leland, Backus, Jefferson, Madison, and Truett believe that religion can only prosper when not hijacked by the government.

For you July 4th is a mere shibboleth, a date that you attach your religious mumbo-jumbo and mythological historical propaganda to make you feel superior to others. That was clear throughout your email to Mr. Weinstein.

Before I sign off, I leave you with the words of the ancient Taoist Chinese philosopher Lao Tzu: 

“Watch your thoughts, they become your words; watch your words, they become your actions; watch your actions, they become your habits; watch your habits, they become your character; watch your character, it becomes your destiny.”

With absolutely no respect whatsoever,

(name withheld)


Response from MRFF Supporter

Permission to use the following:

For whatever reason, the United States Air Force Academy produces a relatively small crop of zealots every year, as if their jobs in the Air Force weren’t enough to keep them busy.  The problem with zealots is that they too often lack and eschew boundaries.  The problem with Christian zealots is that they want to impose their brand of religion on everyone else.  For this reason, the MRFF exists to combat these overreaching, arrogant, self-righteous, intrusively aggressive bigots.  For it is that if you don’t believe the way they do, then you are worse in their eyes than having no value whatsoever as a human being. Personally I find such zealots despicable and even dangerous.  There are instances throughout history wherein their victims were offered up as heretics and miscreants.  I know this to be the case because of what, over the centuries, my people, by the thousands and thousands, have suffered at their hands. Thank God, we live under the Constitution of the United States and the Bill of Rights with its First Amendment protections.  Thank God, we have laws against coercive proselytizers in the military as stated in the UCMJ.  Thank God, we enjoy those who would risk life and limb to stand up for those who would be excluded, maligned and oppressed viciously by these fanatics.  I am sickened by what was written in this email.  I am sickened and very, very tired by its expressed sentiments.  I am bone weary of people who would condemn me to their Hell, as if what they are doing doesn’t create enough Hell on earth for those who, like myself, don’t tow their credal line. My message to these people is: “go pedal your bigotry somewhere else.  Keep within your own ranks and leave the rest of us alone.”  We’ll all be the better for it in this land of the free and the home of the brave who stand up to your every provocation. 

(name withheld)


Make a Donation

Recent Posts

  • December 5, 2021 | No comments
  • December 5, 2021 | No comments
  • December 1, 2021 | 7 comments
  • November 22, 2021 | 1 comment
  • November 22, 2021 | No comments

Share This Story

4 Comments

  1. Grey One Talks Sass July 5, 2021 at 6:44 am

    Oh my giddy aunt. Ooohhh, my sides!!!

    A few hits:
    “ As we celebrate our country’s unique and blessed greatness today the fact is that it’s common knowledge that the United States of America was established solely on Christian biblical principals and not the basics of any other faith or atheism.”
    ~ really? Common knowledge? So the Constitution is not common knowledge?

    “ You can’t rewrite history Mr. Weinstein try though you and the MRFF might.”
    ~ says the human representation of rewriting history. And the Constitution.

    “ On behalf of many USAFA graduates of The Long Blue Line who know you and the MRFF for the sorry rebels against The Lord you are.”
    ~ whew! At least they didn’t accuse the MRFF of rebelling against the Government and guiding documents. That was close!

    Oh my. Thank you MRFF for posting this. I needed the laugh today.

  2. Kathryn Smith July 5, 2021 at 12:35 pm

    +1 to what Marty France said above.

    Mr Anonymous doesn’t speak for me. I am an ‘82 Best in Blue grad. I am also a Christian. And a Notre Dame lawyer who has actually read the Constitution. I also know a little of America’s history. Our nation was founded on slavery – not a Christian value – and it was always intended to have a separation of church and state. Please refrain from speaking for all grads (and their spouses) unless you name names.

  3. Dave Kisor July 7, 2021 at 12:47 am

    Aloha Mr. Chicken

    Stop me if you’ve heard this one before, but Mikey Weinstein and the MRFF are not the initiators of a crusade against Christianity. Somebody must contact them about what someone higher up in the food chain wants to shove their beliefs down their metaphorical throats, and that is when the MRFF jumps into the furball with both feet. I am an Atheist and have been called more Christian like than many who call themselves Christian. I was offended the first time I heard that, but after seeing many of who call themselves Christian, it’s not so bad after all. What a ratsucking shame you’ll never read any of this, since it doesn’t agree with your limited beliefs.

    On the flight deck! Oops, sorry, wrong fairy tale!

  4. ironmoped July 8, 2021 at 2:44 pm

    Okay Mickey! I hate to say this brother, but your beloved Air Force Academy seems to be chock full of Christian zealots! These delusional mother fuckers are straight up Bat Shit Crazy! I suspect most of them are “Make America Hate Again” types! I can’t, for the life of me, figure out how someone makes it through a military academy, purportedly a place of higher learning, and comes out the other end as delusional as these fucking idiots are! And to think that unsuspecting parents in this country are entrusting these idiots to lead their sons and daughters?

    It’s bad enough that these idiots worship an old white guy in the clouds that referees what they do in their bedrooms at night – along with all those little kids he watches get raped, but they want everyone else to as well! Or Burn In Hell! Forever and ever!………but he loves you! Kind of a celestial North Korea!

    Talk about some very insecure folks! I hear that if you challenge their zealotry, they go into seizures! I hope they consider this a challenge!!! :-)

    I like Kathryn Smith’s comment, “our nation was founded on slavery.” Great point!

Leave A Comment